Monday, June 15, 2009

After The Quake: Nick Tosches

Greetings to you all in the blogosphere! I’m Nick and I am currently a upcoming Senior at Emerson College majoring in stage management. Yes, I know what your thinking; “What is a stage manager doing building things and not taking rehearsal notes?” Well that’s cause I also enjoy carpentry/propping/anything that requires a hammer to bang things into shape just as much as banging out paperwork. I first started working in theatre as a stagehand/carpenter at my high school. After my director asked me to be the school’s production manager my senior year, I learned that I also liked organizing and running rehearsal/tech/and the other general fiddly bits of management. So while I stage manage by night I usually spend my days as a carpenter.

This is, however, my first time as assistant technical director and I want to thank both the technical director Mark VanDerzee and production manager Sarah Cohan for giving me this great opportunity. Hopefully I just have to combine my skills as a stage manager and carpenter and everything should be fine right? So far I’ve learned that there is a lot of looking at the big picture as a TD that a stage manager does not necessarily have to do. For example, while a stage manager might have to think about the safety of an actor who has to stand up on a 5’ tall platform, a TD has to think about not only the safety of the actor, but how is that 5’ platform going to be built so that it is both safe/structurally sound/and aesthetically pleasing. It’s definitely a different way of thinking, but coming up with a solution to a problem is the fun part.

So far it’s been a read through and production meetings with the occasional meeting with Mark about budgetary and technical elements, but I am really looking forward to the build for this show because this set is kick ass! I’ve always been a fan of combining the traditional with the modern, and the set designer, Sean Cote, has taken the elegance of traditional Japanese style and combined it with the boldness of modern design. I won't give too much away as I want all of you to come see this play for yourselves. This set along with everything else truly portrays the kind of magic you can only get in theatre. And I get to build it! I know you are all jealous, but you should have thought about that before reading my blog.

So thank you all for reading this and I will catch you all later in the continuation of this blog, And as Jessica said before me, I hope you all are getting excited for the show, because I certainly am.

-Nick

No comments: