Wednesday, June 10, 2009

After The Quake: Grace Geller

Did you know that at 5:46 A.M. on January 17, 1995, the Great Hanshin Earthquake hit near the city of Kobe, destroying the city and killing over 5,000 people? I didn’t, until I started working this summer as Assistant to the Director and Dramaturg for “After the Quake.” In the past month I have learned about this earthquake and many other facts about Japan.

A little about me – my name is Grace and I’m a rising senior at Wheaton College, a Classical Civilizations major and Theater minor. I am excited to be working with Company One this summer. I started work one month ago and I’ve met so many amazing people!

So what do I do as Assistant to the Director and Assistant to the Dramaturg (yes, I do both these jobs, there was some confusion about that as the assistant stage manager thought the Assistant to the Dramaturg was just never around for the first week)? For much of May, I was working with the Dramaturg to create the Dramaturgy Packet for the actors. For any who don’t know, a Dramaturgy Packet is researched information given to the actors to help explain different aspects of that show. For “After the Quake,” the packet consisted of information on Japan, earthquakes, and Murakami, as well as shorter definitions of people or places referenced in the play.

Now that rehearsals have started, I’m working as the Assistant to both the Director and Dramaturg. I’m getting the opportunity to watch and be a part of every rehearsal. As part of my job, the Director or Dramaturg will also ask me to look up something before the next rehearsal. For example, today I’m learning how to bow properly in Japan so I can teach one of the actors.

I love working for Company One. I also LOVE “After the Quake,” Murakami has such beautiful imagery that translates perfectly into the play. Anyone reading this really ought to go buy tickets for the show. I’ll write again in a few weeks! I’m excited to see how the play develops!

-Grace

No comments: