Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Grace Geller: Putting it all Together

Happy July 4th to everyone! I hope you all had a great weekend. This was the first year I spent the 4th in Boston and it was beautiful! I got a spot with some friends on the Esplanade RIGHT in front of the barge. The fireworks (and Boston Pops) were amazing!

On Thursday I went to help ‘clean’ and add small touches to the set. I was under the impression this would mean sweeping (which it did), but was unaware I would also be given power tools – not my forte but I managed. I’ve been looking at the set model for weeks and enjoyed watching the elements come together. I don’t want to give anything away, but the set contains many surprises. As in “After the Quake,” where the story transitions from fantasy to reality, the set itself is full of magical transformations. Watch out for people and objects appearing out of nowhere!

As for rehearsals, we had a long break and are now in the theater! The set is mostly finished and so today we were able to play with all the different prop and set pieces. Unlike many plays where stagehands move elements of a set, such as chairs, in “After the Quake” the actors are the ones to change things. We spent a while today explaining all the transformative elements to the actors and working out kinks.

Besides using the set, tonight we also rehearsed a full run with music for the first time. We’ve added music to every section individually, but have never run through the whole play at once with all the music. Although we added a lot, the run went pretty well. It was also great to be able to hear the play – actors and musicians – and check the volume in the theater. The incorporation of music tonight went really well. The music feels very fluid and truly is a necessary character in the play.

This week we’re doing full run-throughs of the production leading in to tech next week. Because we’ve already worked in sound and set (which are normally two major components of tech week), hopefully tech will go pretty easily as we will mostly just have to work in lights.

I look forward to watching it for the next two weeks from every seat, every angle, to make sure every audience members gets the full experience. I’m so excited for the show to start! Buy your tickets! It’s going to be a great production.

See you there!

* Grace

No comments: