Sunday, June 20, 2010

Interview with playwright, Kirsten Greenidge

Kristin Greenidge, author of Thanksgiving (part of Company One's GRIMM)

What is the first fairytale you remember reading?
We had a very old copy of this version of sleeping beauty. The illustrations were all in silhouette. I loved it. It is probably why I became especially drawn to and enamored by the artist Kara Walker's work.

I also remember a version of Cinderella that our school librarian read to us in first grade. I loved it so much, and was fascinated how it was so different from the animated version.

What do you remember most about that story?
I remember the idea of her getting her finger pricked and how it seemed beauty and youth were these peculiar conditions that had such profound effects. Which is powerful when you are young because you think, that is what I could grow up to be. As I grew up into my more feminist self, this made me angry, but I think that is what I really recognized in this story: beauty and youth and position are powerful things.

If you could be any fairytale character, who would it be? Why?
Cinderella. What a wonderfully karmic existence. And she has small feet, which I seriously envy.

No comments: