Sunday, June 20, 2010

Interview with castmember, Becca Lewis

What is the first fairytale you remember reading?
The Twelve Dancing Princesses. I think mostly because the women were so independent. They had such a saucy secret and that made them powerful.

What do you remember most about that story?
The version that I made my mother read to me every single night for 7 years differs from the Grimm's version in that instead of the old soldier choosing the eldest sister for his bride after he discovers their secret, he tells the king that he is an old man and nothing would make him more happy than to see each princess marry their prince. The king then says, "Your wish is granted, but surely you would like something for yourself." The soldier then thinks back to the pig he caught and returned to the old lady (the witch who gave him the invisibility cloak so that he could solve the princess's shoe mystery) and says, "Well, Your Majesty, I've always liked pigs. I think I'd like a few pigs and a piece of land to raise them on and live out the rest of my days in peace." Pigs! I loved that part because you totally forget about the pig in the beginning of the story and then it comes back in at the end. Pigs. That's just great.

If you could be any fairytale character, who would it be? Why?
I think I would really love to play an evil villain, a wicked witch or sorceress. I think it would be incredibly challenging to discover what it is that makes someone truly wicked in their soul. That being said, I'm loving playing a dwarf in GRIMM. Oh, and Grimm's gooses are always fun. They sing songs and come up with the weirdest plot twists. "Now see, what you need here is to take this goat liver and wear it as a hat, princess." Oh, to be a talking, magical goose!

What's the most potent lesson in a fairytale for you?
Be true to yourself? It seems like so often fairytale women (mostly) are lead astray because they are taking the advice of people (or animals) who do not have their best interests at heart. This could be interpreted as "Don't trust anyone" as well, but I don't think that captures everything either. Do research. A talking goose is not always who they appear to be. If someone offers you a basket of jewelry, someone is probably missing a basket of jewelry somewhere. Don't be so naive. Everyone is inherently selfish. Take a self-defense class. Just because you're pretty doesn't mean you have to be stupid. Often times, reading a fairytale is like watching the first girl about to get killed in a horror movie. You want to scream, "What the hell are you doing?! Don't go in there!"

No comments: