Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The World Comes Together

First off, I just have to say that I forgot how much I absolutely adore walking through Boston at night in the summer. One of my favorite things to do. I was thinking about that as I walked to the T from rehearsal tonight and deciding exactly what I would write in this blog entry.

That being said, the show has grown so much it’s hard to believe we have so little time left before opening. I’ve spent the past week or so away from rehearsals. When I wasn’t off celebrating the fourth (hope you had a good one) I was helping Nick and Mark build the set. Now, I’ll be honest. When it comes to carpentry, I’m much better at building a quarter-inch scale model of a set than the “full scale model”, as one of my teachers fondly refers to it. I can work an X-Acto knife much better than a table saw. Still, it was nice to be back in a scene shop. I find the smell of sawdust oddly comforting. And it was nice to be able really feel progress coming along. I mean, watching the rehearsals you can see the actors get more and more into character each night. They truly are progressing, but for me I was really gearing to go. And it was great to be given a drill, some screws and wood and told to build a step, and then to have that step there. It’s a nice little ego boost.

Problem was, the scene shop was at the rehearsal space which is not near the theater. And so we had that day where we carried every piece of furniture into a uhaul, and then out of the uhaul and into the theater. I was reminded of carrying set from the stage of my high school to the back of the bomb shelter (yea we had one, it was creepy) where we stored things. But on load-in day, when I was doing my best to help carry the bed, I just kept thinking about those long walks with some obscure piece of set. I had a little nostalgic moment there. But once we had everything unloaded in the actual space I jumped immediately back to ATQ mode. Soon enough, this little world we’ve been talking about for months was actually taking shape. And once the painting started it just started to come together that much more. I helped a bit with the texture of the bamboo and Sean did a really great job making the floor actually look like bamboo. Props to him.

But now that I’m back in rehearsals I’m a bit baffled by how far they’ve come. It’s almost a completely different show, but in a great way. There was one moment tonight where Sydney screamed a scream of terror and I had completely forgot it was coming. I literally jumped. And though I’m only twenty, my innate maternal instincts went crazy. And then I was just impressed by the work they’re doing.

You’ll just have to see for yourselves what I’m talking about. I’m really glad I’ve gotten to see this show transform so much.

Have a good one!

Jessica

No comments: