Sunday, July 19, 2009

Grace Geller: Opening Night Here We Come

“What you see with your eyes is not necessarily real.”

This line epitomizes “After the Quake.” Watching the many technical and dress rehearsals this week, I keep being reminded that this play is a world of fantasy and storytelling. In my past blogs I’ve talked about the many transformations and transitions in the play. Now though, with everything together – lights, set, and sound – I’ve come to see that the transitions between worlds are not as important as the merger of those worlds. “After the Quake” is about a man, Junpei, creating a superhero story for Sala, a little girl tormented by nightmares. As the play progresses, the line between Junpei’s reality and story blurs. His characters are as real as himself. When Frog, Junpei’s superhero, reaches down to grab Junpei’s hand and lift him out of the shock and depression of the earthquake, the audience is shown how Junpei’s story is not just for Sala. By the end of the play, Junpei is changed from his story. He learns his own moral: that everyone is important and no one should be controlled by fear.

I can’t stress how beautiful the play is. The set and lights were designed beautifully. There are so many breathtaking moments created by great poses and use of color. I’ve also recently been struck by the humor in the play. When I first read the play, I thought that it was a fun story; however, probably because I did so much research on earthquakes, the element of fear had really come to the forefront in my mind. Fortunately, for the last two weeks, the humor in the play has reemerged. Although the story is about fear, there is in no way a dark element to the play. The fear happens before the play starts, and the humor is, in a way, how Junpei deals with it. There are so many lines and movements where the audience can’t help but crack up. Watch for Frog’s disappointment when he learns Katagiri has never read “Anna Karenina!” This week, even though I know the actions (and most of the lines), I found myself laughing throughout our dress rehearsals.

As for what I’m doing now, I’ve been helping out during the day – painting and sweeping and taking notes on the rehearsals at night. One of my favorite jobs has been acting as a stand in for the actors. I’ve pretended to play all the different roles in the cast to help the director and designers light the show. I get to jump on the platforms as Frog, hide in the boxes, and lie in the beds. I run around, say the lines, and then am told to move a step to my left.

This will be my last post as Assistant to the Director and Dramaturg. I have loved working with Shawn and Liana and am very sad that this part of my experience is over. Opening night I begin my next post – Assistant House Manager. I’ll be the one helping you in the lobby if you have any questions. I can’t wait to see you all at the show! I’m so excited for the run to start!

See you soon!

Grace

No comments: