Sunday, September 6, 2009

From the mind of Batgirl...

Hello! I am Liz Rimar. I play Batgirl. I am writing a blog for you now.

So basically I got a call from our beautiful director, Greg, asking if I wanted to be part of his show, "The Superheroine Monologues". I said heck yes, and here I am. The rehearsal process has been a QUICK one. But I liked it - once I actually got the lines down, it was getting my basic blocking and then playing. Just playing. And for someone who went to drama school and has mostly found acting work in more serious plays, this is a breath of fresh air. Don't get me wrong, I love dramatic pieces and the whatnot, but I am a total goofball at heart. I did have the pleasure of performing in Company One's "Assassins", as basically the comedic character of the piece. But I need silly and ridiculous. And this is what this play is. And the brilliant thing is, as silly as it is, there are poignant moments in each and every monologue.

As for being Batgirl. Wow. She is such a wonderful character. So happy, but like all well written characters, so sad on the inside. She plays to all of my OCD-like habits, and my secret need for perfection. I get to be girly and flip my hair and talk about boys! The research was a blast. And The Poseidon Adventure = amazing! (You'll have to see the show to know what the heck I am talking about). The one thing that I am worried about is performing in my costume. It is a full on spandex bodysuit. And when I first put it on, it severely limited my movement. And I as a person move and flail about a lot. But the containment and constriction of the costume will more than likely have a positive effect on my perfect posture and perfect character. With perfect hair.

-Liz

No comments: