Thursday, December 17, 2009

An Interview with Christmas Belles director, Greg Maraio

With Christmas Belles hitting the Boston Playwrights' Theatre stage for its final two shows this weekend, I caught up with director, Greg Maraio to give us the low down on how he found this hysterical play, his love of Christmas and a sneak peek in to what is coming up next for Phoenix Theatre Artists and Company One!

Sabrina Sydnor, Marketing Associate: So tell me about Phoenix Theatre Artists--history, company members, mission...

Greg Maraio: Phoenix started out as WAY Theatre Artists, and it was a collaborative idea between myself, Eliza Lay, and the company's first Artistic Director Julie Ohl. We produced several successful plays together including Dancing at Lughnasa, Love-Lies-Bleeding, and The Memory of Water. When Julie decided to step down as artistic director, we were prepared to go out on a high, however, I was amazed at how many people said "Please keep doing plays, we love what you are doing." So I decided to step up (nervous as I may have been) and Phoenix was born.

SS: How did you first find Christmas Belles? Had you seen the play produced elsewhere?

GM: We were looking for a crazy, alternative holiday show without pretension and had the least heart-warming message possible. We just wanted something that was fun. Fun to look at, fun to listen to, just a silly romp with silly characters and when I saw one of the writers worked on my favorite show of all time, The Golden Girls, I was hooked.

SS: What do you love about the show? Is it reminiscent of your style and past Phoenix works or is this show going out in a whole new direction?

GM: I love the characters, and I really love the actors, they make things so fun to watch. I am getting the chance to work with some old friends and actors new to Phoenix/Company One. I think that this show is different for us, we have never gone full out farce before. We did some heavy stuff, and it was a nice break to do a wacky comedy. Phoenix's mission is to try new things. Be reborn with every show, We want to give audiences tastes of all types of theatre.

SS: That being said, as a costume designer, how much weight does costume potential have on your play selection?

GM:None at all really, I mean, if I am reading a play and think, I can think of a really funny costume for this character, that's great. But in the end, the play comes first, and I think a good costume designer can find costume potential in anything. I will add though it does help when your characters are larger than life and can get away with gold lame' pants.

SS: Any major bumps in the process? GOSSIP! just kidding of course...

GM: It was tough for a while to nail the pace of the show. I knew I wanted this thing to move, and have a big force behind it. It a lot about entrances and exits. I didn't want to give the audience a lull of any kind!

SS: Cast and Creative-- who's new, who's a regular, who rocks? haha

GM: We have lots of new faces in the show, who I'm sure you will be seeing more of around Boston (at least.) And we have some regulars in the mix that you'll recognize from their two hit Superheroine Monologues productions.

SS: Did you feel that working on this piece has sufficiently gotten you in the Christmas mood or are you on literal Christmas overload?

GM: To quote Raynerd from the show, "I just love Christmas." But the answer is I have yet to do my shopping.

SS: What's next for Phoenix Theatre Artists? Tell me a little bit about 'Apple'. When does stuff kick off for that?

GM: Apple is one of the most amazing plays I have ever read. I think Vern Thiessen has created a contemporary masterpiece. The story follows Andy, a man who is in a very tough place in his life and is faced with some difficult decisions regarding his estranged wife and his young lover. I am so excited to bring this to Boston for its New England Premiere. We start rehearsals in February and I am overjoyed to say that Eliza Lay, co founder of Phoenix, is recently back to Boston and she will acting in the show. Its an intensely beautiful piece, filled with humor and heart. I hope everyone gets a chance to see it.

No comments: