Friday, October 2, 2009

Max Mondi, Artistic Associate

Greetings!

Max here - I'm assisting the director, the fantastic Mr. Shawn LaCount, on "The Overwhelming". I'm going to give you the inside dish on what I'm up to, as we're now in the thick of the rehearsal process.

Already, this has proven be a new and exciting experience for me. This show is not only my first time working with Company One, but it's also my first foray into the entire Boston theatre scene. With this comes the chance to meet and work with a whole host of new (at least for me) artists and dramatists. Also, the show is a unique endeavor unto itself. I have not worked on many shows that not only have such large casts, but also demand the actors to speak such various and numerous dialects and languages, and demand the director and design team to tackle over forty scenes that take place in a vast catalogue of locations and times. From the first time I read the script, I was thrilled by the prospect of collaborating with a group eager to tackle these challenges head-on.

As I said, my role in this production will be assisting the director throughout the rehearsals. This also is a new hat for me to be wearing. In addition to getting to know the cast and production team, another main focus has been figuring out exactly how I should function in my role and how I can best support the production. What has been very rewarding is how I get to act as a second set of eyes for the director. Each rehearsal, after watching the actors work through the text, I get together with the director and dramaturg to talk about the scenes, discussing what's working, what isn't, and what needs to be done next.

So far, we've been able to take a first look into every scene in the play. It's been fascinating to see what everyone's initial impressions of the play are, and it's exciting to see what's going to happen to those impressions as we go. We've just begun working through the play for a second time, so we'll have to wait and see . . .

That's about all for now, but I'll be keeping you updated on all the happenings!

Over and Out,
Max

No comments: