Monday, June 16, 2008

Words with Jon Popp

Yo, what up. This week, instead of your regularly scheduled programming, we have a little treat - an EXCLUSIVE interview with Jon Popp, playing Lee Harvey Oswald. J-Popp has a busy schedule these days, not only rehearsing for the upcoming production, but currently closing out an extended run of THE HISTORY BOYS.

Here's what he had to say:

1) Where are you from originally?

JP: I was born and raised in Gloucester MA, home to the Perfect Storm, St. Peter's Fiesta, and a dying fishing industry.


2) Favorite song?

JP: Easy. Theme song to Gummy Bears. There was a phase in my life when I used to pretend that everything I drank was gummy berry juice which made me bounce really high...later I came to realize that it was just alcohol.


3) Favorite movie?

JP: I'm going to have to pull the dork card with the original Star Wars trilogy. I associate those movies with a period in my childhood where my imagination was on fire...my bed frames transformed into X-wings.


4) What first got you into theater?

JP: My 3rd grade class adapted the story of Little Red Riding Hood and The 3 Little Pigs. I played one of the big bad wolfs. I had a big pre-teen crush on the girl playing Little Red Riding Hood and I think somehow the wires got mixed up. My love for this girl blossomed into a love of theater....love-at-first-bite type thing.


5) As an actor, what are your favorite kinds of stories to tell and roles to portray? What do you enjoy conveying to audiences?

JP: I love stories that easily allow the audiences into their worlds with little resistance. They want to be transported and any show that is capable of doing so has that magic that is just so appealing to me as an actor. In this regard, strong comedic roles with lots of warmth and heart fit this type of story well for me. I find it much easier to engage with the audience if the tension and conventional walls of theater are broken with a few laughs.


6) What's it like playing the infamous Lee Harvey Oswald?

JP: When I told my mom I was playing Lee she cursed me out and said that she was not coming to see it. She has since changed her opinion, but her initial reaction was striking. It's amazing how one person can bring up such strong emotional responses from people. This guy really did have a major impact on people's lives, not just in this country, but an actual global impact. The research has been interesting, mainly because there are so many conspiracy theories to weed through.


7) Why do you think it's important for this play to be done now?

JP: Our nation is in such a state of economic and political turmoil that this upcoming election has become more important than ever. I think it's extremely important to reflect on the past and think about how the consequences of the actions of a small select group of people managed to shape an entire nation.


8) Throughout the course of ASSASSINS, the audience gets the chance to meet these people directly before, during and after their assassination attempts. If you had the chance to meet with Oswald after his assassination of President Kennedy, what would you say to him?

JP: I happen to believe in some of the conspiracy theories that mark Oswald as a patsy, so most of my questions would be focused on who else was involved and exactly how high up the chain of command the assassination plan went. I'd also like to ask him about Marina, his estranged wife. I'd like to see how much his unrequited love was a real motivating factor.


Well there you have it. Much love and thanks to Jonathan for the interview. Look forward to more cast interviews and interactions in the future!

-Nik

No comments: